Monday, November 17, 2008

American exceptionalism

I hadn't thought until today that an Anglican Church from outside the United States, trying to fit American usage, has to adapt in more ways than one. Rite II has an epiclesis; the 1662 BCP does not (though its effect is implied).

I had actually visited a church on Saturday, though not for a service. St. George's Episcopal in Germantown
had its annual Antiques Arcade last weekend.

Bull & Bear Antiques, of Chesapeake, VA, displayed a 10-foot Hepplewhite dining table and matching chairs; the table, around 75 years old, was offered for $8,950. The dealer explained to me that even late 19th-century tables in that style cost around $25-$35K, and too few were willing to spend that amount on a table for actual use. "With these less expensive pieces," he went on, "it doesn't really matter if someone accidentally spills a drink on it."

I couldn't argue with that, but for only $0.99, I downloaded an MP3 of the basso aria Mache Dich Mein Herze Rein, from the Bach St. Matthew Passion, intending to use it as background for this blog, but apparently, putting up background music is not as simple as I thought. I had forgotten that that aria was played as background in the 1999 film of The Talented Mr. Ripley.

© Michael Huggins, 2008. All rights reserved.

No comments: